Difficulty "Getting Started"

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Hi,

When I go through the "Excel-DNA - Step-by-step C# add-in" guide included in the Excel-DNA package I get an error saying "This Excel add-in requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5", but when I look at the "Add or Remove Programs" app in control panel I see that .net 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1, and 4 Extended are installed on my computer. I also have other applications that require .net on my computer that work including another ExcelDNA-based addin for Excel. I am using Excel 2007.

Does anyone know what could be the culprit here?

Thanks for the help,
Kamil
Coordinator
Apr 9, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Hi Kamil,

The message indicates that there was some problem loading the .NET runtime.
Are there any other add-ins loaded in you Excel? If so, you might try to disable them first, as a test. If another add-in loads .Net 1.1, it will block later versions from being loaded.

You can also add (or change) the RuntimeVersion="v4.0" flag in the .dna file. Is it currently there? Do you get a different message when you remove it or change to "v2.0"?

Is there an Excel.exe.config file in the Program Files... Next to excel.exe? That might also interfere with the runtime startup.

Can you test on another machine?

-Govert
Apr 11, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Hi govert,

Thanks for the help! The .dna file I had was missing the RuntimeVersion="v4.0" flag. Adding this solved my problem.