Support for List<> and struct/class types

May 26, 2009 at 3:06 AM

Hi,

Wonderfull library.! You think add support for List<type> and custom struct/class in the future. What is your roadmap about this?

Thanks,

Jorge

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Jorge, you may want to have a look at www.Excel4Net.com, which already have a support for automatic marshaling of List<T>, where T could be a simple(aka primitive) type or a custom struct or class - www.excel4net.com

Jun 16, 2009 at 12:07 PM
Edited Jun 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM

ok, but Excel4Net is an commercial product, that not is comparable with ExcelDNA, that is project open source.

If you shares her knowledge (or ideas and suggestions) of how to handle generics into ExcelDNA, would be very valuable to this project and the community that follows.

Thanks for your promo.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:59 AM

>ok, but Excel4Net is an commercial product, that not is comparable with ExcelDNA, that is project open source.

Yes, Excel4Net is the commercial product, but if someone want to use it almost for free (I mean the full license) - please contact me - sure we can work something out.

>If you shares her knowledge (or ideas and suggestions) of how to handle generics into ExcelDNA, would be very valuable to this project and the community that follows.

If you have the specific questions on how to add support for generic types - I would be happy to help.

Coordinator
Jun 17, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Hi Jorge,

I have plans to make it possible to add custom marshalers and function wrappers to ExcelDna, so that one can easily implement features like List<T> marshaling, logging, async function etc. without modifying the core ExcelDna library. I have started on some prototype exploration, but the changes are significant, and I still have to put Humpty Dumpty together again. For now I would suggest you deal with such specific cases by making a wrapper library which does the type conversion, and exposes the signatures of your choice to the Excel user. When better support for these comes to ExcelDna, your public interface need not change, but your implementation will be smaller and cleaner.

I have a vague roadmap in mind, and these things are high on the list. But my time for working on this is very limited and unpredictable, so you should not hold your breath. I try to make a significant advance to ExcelDna every year. Last year I implemented the Excel 2007 support.

Hope that answers your questions.

--Govert--