Exception from HRESULT: 0x8001010A (RPC_E_SERVERCALL_RETRYLATER))

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Has anyone received the error below using the RTD functionality?

The message filter indicated that the application is busy. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8001010A (RPC_E_SERVERCALL_RETRYLATER))

Michael

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Hi Michael,

This is a standard response from Excel when it is in some 'busy' state when you are calling into the COM interface. I haven't checked, but I suspect an easy way to generate this is to be busy editing a cell (press F2 somewhere and leave it like that), and then call into Excel through COM. Or you can press and hold the left mouse button on the sheet, while the RTD stuff happens. Google's first page of results for "0x8001010A rtd" seemed like useful reading.

Your RTD server should expect and gracefully handle this error. 

In theory the Excel-Dna wrapper class could help to deal with this situation, but there is nothing like that in place now, or planned for the short term. It depends on how your RTD server works, but my first attempt would be to start a timer that retries the call to Excel every half-second or so until it succeeds.

There is also some active discussion about RTD servers on the Google Group [url:http://groups.google.com/group/exceldna], so you might get some input from those more experienced.

Regards,

Govert