Excel DNA Addin Deployment Issue

May 12, 2011 at 9:44 PM

I created Excel addin using DNA and try to load it automatically when Excel starts. I follow the standard steps (Excel 2007):

Logo button -  Excel Options -> Add-Ins -> Manage Excel Add-Ins.

This works and I save the excel file.

However, I can't find the addin function when I open the excel file next time. I have to re-load the addin. It there a way to load the addin automatically when the excel file opens?

Thanks.

Jack

Coordinator
May 12, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Hi Jack,

I don't expect what you see, and it is not the behaviour on my Excel 2007. After I add then add-in there it loads automatically the next time I start Excel. It's also not something I can recall having been asked about.

This could be:

* A setting on your Excel - maybe a security setting or something. I don't know of anything particular.

* You are starting the Excel process as a COM server using a script or something.

* Something related to the particular add-in - either it has been marked by Excel in some way, or the registry entry for it says not to load automatically. Check for "Disabled Application Add-Ins" at the bottom of the add-ins page.

You could try to do the following from the VBA immediate window:

Application.AddIns.Add("c:\...path...\MyAddIn.xll").Installed = True

This should make it installed and load the next time you start Excel.

In the registry you can look in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options

you should find values called OPEN, OPEN1, OPEN2 etc. for the add-ins that are installed to be loaded, with the data: /R c:\...path...\MyAddIn.xll.

You can also look under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins for anything suspicious.

Finally you should check whether there is anything unusual under C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns\. Files here are also treated differently - just make sure there's nothing related to your add-in here.

Please write again if you find out more, whether fixed or not.

Cheers,

Govert