Populating ExcelDNA AddIn Name, Description, Publisher, ...

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM
Edited Oct 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Hello

Does anyone know how to configure an ExcelDNA AddIn so that more information is available on the Add-Ins tab of the Excel 2010 Options dialog, namely Add-In name, Publisher, Compatibility and Description fields.

Kind Regards
Jon

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Hi Jon,

You can customize the name of the add-in in the .dna file:

<DnaLibrary Name="My awesome add-in" > ...

However, Excel has no API for customizing the Description you see in the add-ins dialog. For some COM add-ins the Description is read from some special location in the registry.

I'm not sure if any of the other fields might come from signing the add-in with a certificate. It might be worth trying that.

Regards,

Govert

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Hi Govert

When I first enable the Addin in Excel 2010 it displays the Name as defined in my DNA file.  On subsequent launches it reverts to the name of the XLL with a capitalised first letter for some reason.  I am not sure why.  How do you go about signing an XLL with a certificate?

Thanks
Jon

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Hi Jon,

I've also seen problems with the name sometimes. But testing now on my Excel 2010 I can't get a problem - maybe it depends on other add-ins that are loaded? I also seem to remember older Excel versions having issues, but I thought Excel 2010 was fine.

I have never tried the signing myself. This seems to be a start: http://www.technicana.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=61.

-Govert

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2011 at 9:46 PM

OK - I tried the signing, and indeed the Publisher displayed in the add-ins list comes from the Certificate. 

-Govert