LogDisplay Form

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Hi,

In startup, if ExcelDNA can not find a dll to load (the configuration xml file forgets to specify the dll), it will prompt out a logdisplay form.

If the spreadsheet has some formula are calculating, then everything is frozen.

I have to move other window to overlap the Excel, and then click Excel UI back. Now Excel will be frozen.

Any reason and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot, ExcelDNA is a great work.

LikeItALot

Coordinator
Aug 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Hi,

The LogDisplay is quite tricky, but the intention is not to block. Although the form will run on the main Excel thread, the add-in will not be loaded while a calculation is actually running, so the interaction you see must be a bit more subtle. 

What version of Excel-DNA are you using?

I did make some small changes in the implementation between version 0.29 and the current check-ins which might affect it - either fixed or broken the issue you report. It would help me if you could also test with the other one - v. 0.29 or the current check-in - to help pin down the issue.

Otherwise, some more detailed steps to help me reproduce the issue would also help - is there a way to get the problem just with code in a .dna file that calls LogDisplay.Show or something?

-Govert

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Hi Govert,

The one I am using is version 0.29.

Also there is typo in my prior email, the sentence should be:

I have to move other window to overlap the Excel, and then click Excel UI back. Now Excel will be unfrozen.

To reproduce the issue:

1) Prepare a spreadsheet with formula calculations using a.dll.

2) Do not specify the a.dll in configuration file.

3) Now open Excel. Then you will see the logdisplay form. However both Excel and the form are frozen.

4) Click any other window (say a browser) to overlay the Excel UI.

5) Click Excel UI back to front.

6) Now we can close the logdisplay form, and work on excel UI.

Thanks,

LikeItALot

Coordinator
Aug 23, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Hi,

I can't reproduce this with either version 0.29 or the current check-ins. The LogDisplay pops up, but nothing freezes. I'm using Excel 2010.

What version of Excel are you using?

Could you also check with the latest source code check-in whether the problem is still present in current versions?

Thanks,

Govert