DNA works weird in Office 2003

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Hi guys,

I'm using the new feature DNAPack to pack my dll file into an xll add-in. All work fine before I moved it to Office 2003. Here is the problem:

copy ..\..\bin\DLLName.dll DLLName.dll /y

call ExcelDnaPack.exe EM.Extensions.dna /y

I used the above command to copy my dll to the folder which contains ExcelDnaPack.exe, EM.Extensions.dna. After the command been executed, the EM.Extensions-packed.xll addin is generated. These actions works fine in my Office 2010 32-bit. But when I do it the same in Office 2003, Office shows me that is not responding. The even weird thing is that if I copy the generated addin to somewhere else like desktop, and then double click to load it, all works fine again. So I really can't figure out what happens to the addin in Office 2003, and why it doesn't work under the folder where it been generated?

I appreciate any helps and advice, thanks.

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Hi,

I can think of two reasons:

1. There is some other file in that directory that interferes - in particular you should not have the file ExcelDna.Integration.dll in the directory (the proper copy is already embedded in the .xll). Try to see whether the presence of some file(s) from that directory will make you add-in break.
  2. Your add-in has been disabled by Excel. For Excel 2003 go to Help->About and press on the Disabled Items button to check. Excel might record the path of the add-in when it is disabled.

We can try some other diagnostics if that's not it, so write back if you're still stuck.

Regards,

Govert