Extending ExcelFunctionAttribute

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Edited Oct 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Hi,

I'm using version 0.29.4165.35922 of your ExcelDna.integration.dll
Great, Great job! By the way!

I found that I needed to extend ExcelFunctionAttribute with a few more properties for my own use.  I created my "FunctionDescriptionAttribute" using your "ExcelFunctionAttribute" as base class, like so:

public class FunctionDescriptionAttribute : ExcelDna.Integration.ExcelFunctionAttribute

However I found that in doing this the function no longer was found in excel "name not found" error. I got around this problem by decorating each function with both attributes like so:

[FunctionDescription("myFunctionName", FeatureName = "Bla Bla", Description = "my function description")]
[ExcelFunction(Name = "myFunctionName", Category = "My Category", HelpTopic = "my help Topic",  Description = "my function description")]

By doing this the function is aguain visible in Excel, but I´m forced to duplicate the fields that i need like the "Name" and "description".

My question is:
Would it be possíble for ExcelDna to "expose" to Excel not just the functions decorated with "ExcelFunctionAttribute", but also "expose" those functions decorated with an atribute derived from "ExcelFunctionAttribute" ?

Thanks for a great job with this ExcelDna thing :P

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Hi,

This is already done for the next version, which is available for testing and you can download here: http://exceldna.codeplex.com/releases/view/95861.

Please write back if you find this still a problem.

Regards,

Govert