My xll addin Conflicts with xla

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM

ll: My Excel AddIn (XLL) is written using C#, ExcelDNA, NetOffice. The AddIn has a ribbon with some ribbon buttons. The addIn subscribes to events SheetSelectionChangeEvent, SheetActivateEvent, WorkbookActivateEvent, SheetCalculateEvent In all these event handlers, I simply disable/enable MenuRibbonbuttons based on current selection. Now users have another addin say OtherAddIn (xla), Which he says works fine without my addin. This is what the user does. He highlights a cell and hits button from a ribbon(belongs to the OtherAddIn) which results in a pop-up window function, where he can input a bunch of parameters. When MyaddIn is installed, he click the button and nothing comes up. The users guess if my AddIn hooks some Excel events and fails to return it. I do not know what's the cause though. Anyone pls help, or throw some possible solutions. thanks a lot!

I notice the other addin is xla, requires .NET 2.0. but my addin requires .NET4.0, just wonder is it the cause and how to solve this. thanks

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM
Edited Nov 12, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Hi,

One approach would be to make a few versions or your add-in, which have various aspects disabled. For example you could make a version that does not subscribe to the various events, and one that does not have your ribbon. This should narrow down the aspect that might be problematic.

I'd also suggest you add exception handlers around all the event-handling code, as well as all your ribbon handlers.

I don't think the mix of .NET versions would causes any problems.

-Govert