Cant get the description of the UDF to display using ExcelDNA

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM
using vb.net (VS 2010)
using Excel 2010 (64 Bit)

The UDFs work great, but I have spent double the total time just to try to get user assistance or at least a description of the UDF to pop up when someone uses the UDF.

<ExcelFunction(Name:="FINDREV", Description:="FindRev(Find_Text,Within_Text)")> Public Shared Function FINDREV(<ExcelArgument(Name:="Find_Text", Description:="Find_Text")> Delimeter As String, <ExcelArgument(Name:="Find_Text", Description:="Find_Text")> InputString As String) As Long

Can someone point me in the right direction?
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Hi,

Your attributes look fine, and the descriptions should show in the Insert Function dialog box (when you press the fx button).

Excel has no support for customizing the Intellisense pop-up when you are typing on the sheet. For user-defined functions the descriptions and argument help is not displayed as it is for the built-in functions.

Does this agree with your experience?

-Govert
Feb 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2013 at 6:07 PM
I see. This is a major problem as I was planning to write more complex UDFs, there is no way for the users to see how to use them. And no, the descriptions don't show up in the Insert Function Dialog box (this isn't a problem anyway since I have never seen anyone use it... ever.. including me)

OK. Thank you for your answer.

-EDIT
I have a Bloomberg add-in for excel. The bloomberg does add Intellisense to their UDFs. How are they doing it?
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Hi,

I certainly expect the descriptions to appear in the Function Arguments dialog. I paste in image from my Excel, based on your code:
Descriptions

I know that Bloomberg adds extra customization to this dialog, and XLL+ is another tool that allows you to customize this dialog.
I don't have access to Bloomberg, so if you can show me what they do and what you want, I can think about it more.

In any event, Excel itself does not support any UI customization for function beyond what Excel-DNA gives you. Anything else you see is a serious amount of work done to implement something beyond the Excel built-in support. I guess one can display any information on the screen using some Windows APIs - but Excel is not providing any assistance that I know of.

-Govert