Enhancements to ExcelDnaPack

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Hi Again,

I ran into another snag with this program, mostly because of my lack of understanding.

Our product requires that we build both an x86 and x64 add-in. I made the faulty assumption that ExcelDnaPack would detect the bit-ness and use the correct base add-in. However our testing uncovered my mistake and our developers mentioned that we needed to move the correct ExcelDna.xll into the same directory as the .dna file.

Would you be open to the idea of allowing the base add-in to be passed as an additional argument to ExcelDnaPack? It would simplify our lives (we've written an MSBuild wrapper around this tool to integrate into our build processes that we'd be happy to share as well).

Looking at the code it doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to do, and we'd be willing to provide code for it. Additionally we'd recommend these changes:
Thanks
Coordinator
Jul 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Hi,

I agree with your point on the x86 / x64 story. ExcelDnaPack was written before the 64-bit support, and not updated for it.

I'd be happy to consider an update that adds an option to tell it which .xll file to use.
If you send me an update of the code that just makes this change, I'll have a look and try to incorporate it.

I'm not keen on a dependency on NDesk.Options, nor on the resources story. It's a tiny developer utility, and I don't think either of these are required or would make it better. I cannot imagine a translation being useful.

-Govert