Compiling ExcelDna 0.32 using Visual Studio 2013

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM
It might help others to know that if you just open the VS2010 solution and attempt to compile, you will get linker errors like this:

Error 1 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl StripPath(class std::basic_string<wchar_t,struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>,class std::allocator<wchar_t> > &)" (?StripPath@@YAXAAV?$basic_string@_WU?$char_traits@_W@std@@V?$allocator@_W@2@@std@@@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl LockModule(void)" (?LockModule@@YAXXZ) C:\code\ClearLife\Waterfall\trunk\vendor\src\csharp\ExcelDna0.32\Source\ExcelDna\ExcelDna.obj ExcelDna.vs2010 The fix is to add the file MiscUtils.cpp to the ExcelDna.vs2010 project. It then compiles and works. I was amazed that nobody else had come across this issue - or at least I couldn't find anything via google. Am I the only one building this from source?

BTW, excellent work on this project Govert. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris.
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2014 at 8:26 PM
Hi Chris,

The title of your post is a bit confusing. Are you rebuilding with Visual Studio 2013 or 2010?
The problem should only be in the VS 2010 version of the C++ project, which I had not updated after some refactoring where I created that file.

The problem was also mentioned on the Google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/exceldna/miscutils/exceldna/H3m0vaWRGQc/ziJf72Lg5xcJ

I hope you find Excel-DNA useful.

Cheers,
Govert
Aug 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Hi Govert,
I was trying to compile it using Visual Studio 2013. I must have used the VS 2010 version of the project files by mistake. I think I saw VS2008 and VS2010 files and decided to just use the later one. I did a lot of google searching for a fix but failed to find the discussion you reference above. Anyway, it's all working now. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Chris.