Ribbon Not Showing - Com Addin Not Loaded (Resolved)

May 2, 2015 at 9:12 AM
Hi Govert,

This is not a problem for you but I thought I would make a note of a problem I was experiencing for the benefit of others experiencing similar symptoms with the ribbon not being shown/loaded.

I have a dual boot development machine:-
  • Windows 7 Office 2003
  • Windows 8 Office 2010
The addin worked perfectly on both but on another pc with office 2010 the ribbon would not show up.
  • The .Net addin would show up.
  • UDFs would work.
  • The Com Addin would not show up (not even as disabled).
  • In Vba the object browser would see the com objects.
  • The ribbon class would show up under the HCR key - on a Machine with the ribbon working this class did not appear.
  • No error messages on installing.
  • The registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Security had a value VBAWarnings of 2
  • If you went to Developer\Addins and unchecked the offending addin an clicked Ok and then checked the addin (sometimes repeating the process several times) the ribbon would eventually appear and work as desired.
Eventually I discovered that I was initializing a variable (unnecessarily) that needed to access an NetOffice Excel Application object value. I suspect this was being done too early so the Application object was null? (Why did it work on development machine?)

Anyway the takeaway is that if you are experiencing similar symptoms check your use of objects relying on the Application object.

Regards

pianoboy